Summer is winding down, so it’s the perfect time to freshen our minds with a brain-boosting diet. According to holistic nutritionist Joy McCarthy, there are many foods you can add to your daily meals that help memory and concentration: eggs, avocado, smoothie, nut butters, nuts and seeds, and fruit (like strawberries, blueberries, and apples.)
There are other things you can do to keep your brain sharp. First and foremost, be sure to drink water when you wake up and continue to drink it throughout the day. (Hot tip: Filtered water is best and the easiest way to make drinking water enjoyable is by adding flavour, like cucumber or lemon.)
But one of the main ways to boost your brain is by eating a metabolism-boosting breakfast. See below for a super easy (and tasty) recipe.
Homemade Coconut Milk Yogurt
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 x 400mL cans of full fat coconut milk
- 4 x 15 billion genuine health probiotic capsules
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup (optional)
WHAT YOU DO:
- Refrigerate coconut milk cans overnight to allow time for the cream to separate from the coconut water.
- Scoop coconut cream form can and place in a clean bowl. Let warm up to room temperature to make it easier to mix the probiotics.
- Crack open each probiotic for a total of 60 billion bacteria into the coconut cream and combine.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and store overnight or for 12 hours in a warm environment, like inside your oven. Remember it’s in there and do not use your oven!
- The next day, mix the yogurt with a spoon (it should be nice and creamy and smell tangy/sour, just like yogurt.) If it smells funky or the colour is off, throw it out.
- Place in a clean jar and refrigerate for up to 7-10 days.
- If using, the vanilla and maple syrup can be added after 12 hours.