Style expert Meredith Shaw shares some amazing fashion trends that have come back better than ever.
They had a major moment in the 90s—all the girls on Beverly Hills 90210 come to mind. But, fun fact, the choker actually dates back to the ancient Egyptians. The biggest change over the years has been the choice of fabrics/metals, and the nice thing about choker options today is the styles available: rocker, sophisticated, feminine, tough—there’s literally something for everyone.
8-pack chokers, H&M
- WHY WE LOVE IT: The price is right and it’s a great way to try the trend.
The Jane Choker, Jenny Bird
- WHY WE LOVE IT: These gorgeous statement pieces are made by a Canadian designer! Plus, Taylor Swift fans will recognize them from her Look What You Made Me Do music video.
Swarovski Remix Collection
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This is so versatile and can be hooked together to create a choker, a long necklace, and stacked bracelets.
Gem Choker Necklace, Le Chateau
- WHY WE LOVE IT: The colour is gorgeous; need we say more?
BFFs forever! Do you remember making these out of gimp or embroidery thread at summer camp or school? Friendship bracelets aren't just for kids—we grownups can love on our girlfriends too. These are great birthday presents or bachelorette weekend gifts.
Style Statement necklaces, Foxy Originals
- WHY WE LOVE IT: These pieces let you speak form the heart and choose which word matches which friend/personality. They come in yellow, white and rose gold.
Friendship bracelets, Links of London
- WHY WE LOVE IT: These come in the same style as the BFF bracelets you remember making but instead of gimp and thread, it’s made from gorgeous, precious metals. Bonus? You can get them engraved!
These packs once screamed “I’M A TOURIST!”, but not anymore. Fanny packs are back in a big, fun way. Going hands-free has its perks, so these packs are the ultimate accessory for busy bodies. Oh, and they’re not called fanny packs anymore; you’ll see them referred to as “hip packs”.
Fifteen Hip Pack, Herschel
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This option is great for both men and women.
Heart Made Factory Relax Hip Pack in Red
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This fanny pack (er, “hip pack”) can be worn to the most formal of occasions, if you dare.
Celine Dion Vibrato Quilted Leather Money Belt, Nordstrom
- WHY WE LOVE IT: If it's good enough for Celine Dion, it's good enough for us!
Aki Faux Leather Belt Bag, Matt & Nat
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This pack can be slipped off the belt and carried as a slim clutch.
Say goodbye to shimmying your way into tight high-waisted denim! This style is popping up all over the place with the addition of stretch technology, so you can go high-waisted and still be able to breathe.
Peter Nygard Jeans Hi Rise True Skinny Frayed
- WHY WE LOVE THEM: Most denim with stretch will stretch left to right, but this line of jeans stretches 360 degrees. That’s right; that’s a four-way stretch. You’re never going to feel tight, just contoured.
High-Rise Raw-Edge Rockstar Jeans for Women
- WHY WE LOVE THEM: These jeans are a best seller, and for good reason: the fringe detail, a variety of sizes, and a great price point, what’s not to love?
rag & bone DENIM High Waist Skinny Jeans
- WHY WE LOVE THEM: These long and lean skinny jeans make a versatile addition to your every day wardrobe.
So many people have rocked matching athleisure: Amy Pohler’s character in Mean Girls, Will Smith in Fresh Prince, Justin Timberlake in early NSYNC days. In fact, the track suit is what we called athleisure before we even had that word.
JUICY COUTURE Floral Velour Hoodie
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This classic track suit is all grown up! This suit plays up the floral appliques and deep seasonal colours.
Old Forest Hill, Chyll Pyll
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This Canadian company is new to the athleisure scene but is quickly making a name for itself. They use plush and comfy materials, nostalgic styles but the best part about this company is what it gives back: portions of each sale will be donated to charities across Canada working to end the stigma surrounding mental illness.
Floral Print Knit Crepe Blazer, Le Chateau
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This elevated track suit can be work appropriate.
The fabulous ‘50s were known for that perfect hair set at night, but sleeping on hard plastic curlers doesn't sound all that fun. Curls are making a big comeback, especially when it comes to wave or bend in the hair. Plus, they’re hard to do on yourself.
The Sleep Styler, Showcase
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This heat-free, hands-free styling system allows you to dry and style your hair and get a good nights’ sleep; the rollers are made out of absorbent memory foam rollers.
This fun trend dates back to the 1920s, but most of us were introduced to this concept in the ‘90s via mood rings. Fast forward to 2017 and many beauty brands have launched lip colours that change based on the product’s reaction to your own body chemistry.
Dior Addict Lip Glow Colour Reviver Balm
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This balm has SPF, heals your lips, and boosts your pout to give you your most natural yet pigmented rosy glow.
Colour Change Stick, Bergo Designs
- WHY WE LOVE IT: The packaging is super nostalgic and it’s a great way to introduce this fun colour-changing beauty to the next generation.
Lipstick Queen Frog Prince Colour Changing Lipstick
- WHY WE LOVE IT: This particular shade may look emerald green, but it transforms into a beautiful rosebud colour upon application.