Babies don’t come with instruction manuals, but they certainly come with apps. Or, more accurately, you can download apps to lend a helping hand. And who doesn't love a little extra help sometimes? Tech expert Avery Swartz recommends a few of her favourite apps for new moms and dads, and they are seriously helpful.
- WHY IT’S GREAT: This handy app tracks your baby’s sleep, feeds, and diaper changes. It can be shared with others, so if your little one is with someone else, they can record activities and you can check in.
- Available for iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows phone.
- WHY IT’S GREAT: This extensive library is full of medically-approved content, including Baby 101 videos and Ask a Paediatrician sections.
- Available for iOS and Android devices
Cloud Baby Monitor
- WHY IT’S GREAT: Why spend money on an expensive baby video monitor when you can use the devices you already have?
- WHY IT’S GREAT: You’ve likely envisioned yourself writing every milestone and funny thing your kid does in a baby book or journal, right? Let’s face it: at the end of a long day, it’s not exactly at the top of your to-do list. This app sends you a text message every day asking a question about your child. All you have to do is reply (and include a photo, if you want) and it stores your responses in an online journal. You can also print off a book when you have enough entries.
- Available on any phone that receives text messages.
- WHY IT’S GREAT: No new parent has the time to make photo books, so this app will do it for you with their Photo Book Series. Just hook it up to your Instagram, Facebook or “favourited” photos on your phone, and every time you get to 60 new photos, a book is created and sent to you.
- Available for Android and Apple devices.