The long days of summer have arrived, and so has a new crop of summer gadgets. Tech expert Avery Swartz shares the hottest items for your beach bag.
La Roche-Posay’s My UV Patch
- WHY IT’S GREAT: No more guessing when you need to apply sunscreen! When put on your skin, this thin adhesive patch monitors your sun exposure. All you have to do is scan the patch with the free app and it will tell you what your UV exposure is and when to reapply your lotion.
Kikkerland Waterproof Phone Sleeve
- WHY IT’S GREAT: Sure, there are a lot of great phone cases that will make your phone waterproof and protect it from the elements, but this phone sleeve is cheap, cheerful, and anyone can use it. Just pop your phone in and you’re good to go.
Kobo Aura H20 Waterproof eReader
- WHY IT’S GREAT: Dive into the top summer page-turner without worrying about getting your eReader wet—this one is totally waterproof. It’s also great in bright light, so you can read in full sun while you’re lounging on the beach or by the pool.
Bose SoundLink Revolve Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- WHY IT’S GREAT: The perfect summer playlist turns a day at the beach into a party, and great tunes deserve a great speaker to play them out. This speaker is water-resistant and it packs serious sound in a small and portable package.
Magnasonic Mini Portable Pico Video Projector
- WHY IT’S GREAT: Enjoying a movie under the stars is one of summer’s great activities. Hang a sheet on a clothesline, hook your device up to this adorable mini projector and you have your own outdoor movie theatre!
Birksun Solar Backpack
- WHY IT’S GREAT: All backpacks are great for hauling your essentials at the beach, going for a hike, or attending a hot summer festival. This particular backpack does more—it features a solar panel that will charge your smartphone.
Nest Outdoor Cam
- WHY IT’S GREAT: If you’re having yrouble completely leaving home behind while you’re on summer vacation, you can remotely check in on your home with an outdoor cam and accompanying app. You’ll receive notifications when someone is near your front or back door, when a delivery arrives, or when the doorbell rings. It even has two-way speakers and microphones, so you can listen and talk back through the camera.
Neatgear Arlo Pro Cam
- WHY IT’S GREAT: The only major difference between this and the Nest Outdoor Cam mentioned above is that the Neatgear cam has a rechargeable battery and can last 3-6 months depending on usage levels, so you can place it in areas that don’t have power.