If it's too cold for you to head out for dinner this weekend, why not bring a taste of Italy to your own kitchen? Italy is full of unique regions and cuisines and to give us a taste of the Calabria region, Chef Massimo Bruno shared a delicious recipe with us.
Maccheroni al Ferro with Porcini Mushrooms, Sausage and 'Nduja sauce
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 300 G hand-made or artisanal pasta 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 fresh pork sausages
- 1-2 tablespoons ‘nduja
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup of grated cheese (approximately)
- 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh parsley, Q.B.
- Extra virgin olive oil, Q.B.
WHAT YOU DO:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Soak the dried mushrooms in 2 cups of warm water for 10 mins prior to making your sauce.
- Dice the garlic and the stem of the parsley. Set the leaves aside for later.
- Add a generous amount of olive oil to a skillet and bring to medium heat. Lightly cook the garlic and parsley stem until fragrant, being careful not to brown the garlic.
- Squeeze the mushrooms and add them to the skillet. Keep the water aside for later.
- Remove sausage from casing and add to skillet, breaking it up with wooden spoon in the pan.
- Add the ‘nduja, then the tomato paste, and finally the white wine, slowly stirring the ragù as ingredients are added.
- Finely chop the parsley leaves and add them to the ragù.
- Gently pour the top ½ cup of warm water from the mushrooms into the ragù (you don’t want the sediment that will have settled on the bottom).
- Add the fresh pasta to the boiling water - it will cook in five minutes or less.
- As the pasta rises to the top of the water and becomes al dente in texture, scoop it out with a perforated spoon and add to the ragù.
- Cook for a few more minutes in the ragù, until the pasta and sauce are well integrated. If the mixture becomes too dry add a little pasta water, but careful not to over-sauce.
- Add a few handfuls of grated pecorino cheese (to taste) and remove from heat.
- Add a little additional fresh grated parsley and serve immediately!