Forget about pencils and paper—when it comes to back-to-school, we want to know about the latest and greatest tech. So we asked Avery Swartz, the master of all things tech, to do the shopping for us. See her picks below.
For younger students (and their parents)
Dell Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1 Laptop
- WHY IT’S GREAT: This laptop is loaded with enough tech power for basic computing and provides great value for a price that won’t break the bank. The 2-in-1 laptop comes in a bunch of bright colours, and has a screen that flips around (so it can go from laptop to tablet in seconds!)
- WHY IT’S GREAT: Osmo is an interactive, educational game system for iPad. It’s recommended for kids aged 5-12 and the word, number, tangram, drawing and code games make learning fun.
- WHY IT’S GREAT: This is a speaker you can talk to features Google’s Voice Assistant and is an amazing homework helper. It’s easier for younger students to talk to Google instead of reading and writing questions and answers. Google Home can do math, answer questions, and translate words.
- WHY IT’S GREAT: For a bit of fun at back-to-school time, this gaming system is amazingly diverse. It can be played on the go or can be docked to your TV for big screen fun. Multiple players can face off in fun games and parental controls can limit screen time and kids’ ability to connect with others through the device.
- WHY IT’S GREAT: This home security camera has revolutionary face recognition technology, which is perfect for parents of kids who might be coming home on their own after school. You can receive alerts on your phone that tell you when your kid is home, so you know they’re safe and sound.
Tinitell Wearable Mobile Phone & GPS Tracker for Kids
- WHY IT’S GREAT: This brightly-coloured, adorable kids’ wristwatch can be programmed with phone numbers so kids can call their parents or other loved ones, and parents can track their kids’ location through the Tinitell app.
For older students
MacBook Pro 15” with Touch Bar
Microsoft Surface Laptop
- WHY THEY’RE GREAT: Both of these laptops are powerhouses, full of all the tech that students need. They’re not the least expensive laptops on the market, but their power, battery life, and sleek design will get students through four years of high school or post secondary school and are worth the investment.
Epson EcoTank Printer
- WHY IT’S GREAT: Every student needs a printer. Unlike many on the market that seem to always need a new ink cartridge, the EcoTank line of printers from Epson feature ink tanks that only need to be filled every couple of years.
Tapplock Smart Padlock
- WHY IT’S GREAT: A padlock with a combo you’ll never forget—your own fingerprint! Store up to 500 different fingerprints in the lock, and manage who has access using the Tapplock app.
Rocketbook Smart Notebooks
- WHY IT’S GREAT: These are spiral-bound notebooks that look like normal school supplies, but they’re smart. Write in them like you normally would with pen and paper, use the Rocketbook app to snap a pic of the page and automatically send your notes to Google Docs, DropBox, Evernote, email, and more. Then, use a damp cloth and wipe down the notebook to remove your notes and start again, or put the notebook in the microwave to erase all the content. You’ll never need another notebook again!
Apple AirPod Headphones
- WHY THEY’RE GREAT: These sync effortlessly to iPhone, and their small charging and carrying case fits in any size bag.
Sony MDR-1000X Headphones
- WHY THEY’RE GREAT: These noise-cancelling headphones are perfect for study sessions.