‘Motive’ Q&A: Get to know Brendan Penny
On “Motive,” Brendan Penny plays Det. Brian Lucas.
As the rookie detective on the team, Lucas looks up to Det. Angie Flynn (Kristin Lehman) and Det. Oscar Vega (Louis Ferreira). Even though his naiveté sometimes makes him the fodder of jokes around the office, he is still eager to learn whatever he can from the force’s top detectives.
To prepare for his role, Penny spent time with real detectives from the Vancouver Police Department and admits the job would be too intense for him in real life.
Find out more fun facts about Penny and his character below.
1. If you weren’t an actor, would you like to be a detective like your character?
I don't think I would like it. It would be too intense for me.
2. What traits do you admire about your character, Det. Brian Lucas? Are there any you wish you had?
I admire that he is earnest, sincere and is always looking to do the right thing. I wish that I had his ability to focus as hard as he does. Sometimes . . . that is a tough one.
3. What special training did you to do to prepare for this role?
I did weapons training as well as a long Q&A with real detectives in the Vancouver Police Department. Also there were many hours spent researching protocol and police work online.
4. What’s one thing your character always has on his desk?
Lucas always has a file on his desk. No matter what, there is always something he is working on.
5. What’s your favourite prop to use on the show?
My favourite prop is Lucas's note pad. I use it all the time. He is very detailed and by the book, and when I use it, it brings me right into the character.
6. What is your character’s vice of choice? Is it similar to any real-life ones you have?
Lucas's vice of choice is spending time with his wife Mary. Newly married, he receives the love and support that he needs to get through his days. I would have to say that I share that with him in real life.
7. If you could star in a re-make of a classic film, which film would it be and who would you want to play?
I would like to star in “Taxi Driver” playing Travis Bickle. He is such a complex character, and it is beautifully written.
8. What superpower would your character like to have and why? What would you have in real life?
I think Lucas would like the power of mind reading. I say that because he is definitely not quick on the draw when reading situations and people. I would pick flying. Who wouldn't want to fly?
"Motive" airs Sundays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on CTV. Full episodes are also available online at CTV.ca.